With the advent of electronic health records (EHRs) and all of their related problems, new jobs have emerged, one of which is Health Information Technician (HIT).
Health Information Technicians work in healthcare, however they do not generally work directly with patients. HITs assemble patient health information including medical history, symptoms, examination results, diagnostic tests, treatment methods, and all other healthcare provider services. They organize and manage health information data by ensuring its quality, accuracy, accessibility, and security. They may work as medical coders who specialize in coding patient information for reimbursement purposes. They communicate with physicians and other healthcare professionals to clarify diagnoses or to obtain additional information. They ensure its quality, accuracy, accessibility, and security in both paper and electronic systems. They use various classification systems to code and categorize patient information for insurance reimbursement purposes, for databases and registries, and to maintain patients’ medical and treatment histories.
- Review patient records for timeliness, completeness, accuracy, and appropriateness of data
- Organize and maintain data for clinical databases and registries
- Track patient outcomes for quality assessment
- Use classification software to assign clinical codes for reimbursement and data analysis†
- Electronically record data for collection, storage, analysis, retrieval, and reporting
- Protect patients’ health information for confidentiality, authorized access for treatment, and data security
Med-Certification HIT Course teaches all about medical terminology, coding, medical records, EHR software, privacy issues, and electronic data analysis.
What are average earnings and job potential?
According to the Department of Labor, $34,160 is the median annual wage, with specialists making as much as $100,000 a year. Growth rate through 2022 is an astonishing 22%. Certified HITs are a reality. Learn how and certify with us at www.med-certification.com.